Friday, April 8, 2011

Next stop: THE RING OF FIRE!

For my next stop, I decided to take a little trip to the Ring of Fire! So, I went to my most favorite place in the whole entire world: Cape Kiwanda. It's amazing there. I get on the plane in an hour so I have a lot to catch you up on. Punta Cana was a transform boundary where the Carribean plate is running alongside the North American plate and created these islands.
Here are a few pictures to help you understand a little better:
As you can see, a transform boundary is when two plates go next to each other instead of going over or under. This movement is found near the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

So now that you understand Transform boundaries, let's move on to my next place.

SUBDUCTION!
What is subduction? If you look above you can see that Subduction is when one plate goes under the other and it gets so hot that the plate starts to melt and becomes magma which then rises to the top and creates volcanoes. The place where I am now going, The Ring of Fire is all subduction.
I need to work on my itinerary, but I'll get back to you guys later!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog's great!
    I love the videos, the detail of your travel plans, and the very understandable explanations of plate tectonics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm lovin all of these pictures! And the video about earthquakes on your home page or whatever is awesome! Great job!

    ReplyDelete