Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Maldives: Gan Island

For my first stop, traveled all the way to the Maldives in the middle of the Laccidive sea. It's beautiful here, and I couldn't imagine a better place to look for information. There is an area not too far from Gan in the middle of the sea where two plates touch.
Just in case you were wondering where the island is...
Latitude:   0°16'15.64"N
Longitude:  73°25'36.92"E

And the boundary is...
 lat=-4.42892371564
lon=73.9046680911

Once I got to Gan, I had to find somewhere to sleep. Since Gan is mostly a military base
(Picture below)

 



I had to look for somewhere with a hotel.
With a little help from a man with broken english, a sailor, and some kind women, I managed to get a pilot to fly me to Kuda Huraa where I could stay somewhere a little more civilized: The four seasons resort.

http://www.fourseasons.com/maldiveskh/photos_and_videos/

After a long couple days of travel all the way from my cozy home in Seattle, I fell asleep on the patio of my cabin. I plan to stay here a couple days and relax because this is my first stop of a very long trip and I plan to enjoy it. However, I will most likely have to move on with travels in a couple of days. I'm thinking of renting a yacht to sail all the way to my spot, to check it out. But we'll see....


How could you resist this? 

Missing home already!
(Not!)

3 comments:

  1. Wow sofia I am so jealous I have always wanted to visit the Maldives, and you even got to learn aout tectonic plates!! lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I really am having the time of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looooove how you stay at the four seasons :) thats what i would do if i could!!!!

    ReplyDelete